Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Hoppy Easter

I didn't want to let the Easter season go by making only one card with this bunny set, so here is my second card with these adorable little guys! I am playing along at Global Design Project GDP #436 where we are asked to CASE Jay Soriano's card. I saw the vertical lines and the topsy turvy shapes along the midline, as well as the loosely placed sentiments. I haven't made this style of gate fold card for a while and I love the removable centerpiece so much. In person the grass doesn't look as sparse as it does in the photo. My idea was to have the bunnies peaking out from the garden.


















Products I used:

Simon Says Stamp: Bunny Trails stamp set

American Crafts: Floral paper

Versafine: Onyx Black ink pad

Copic markers

Distress ink pad

Ink blending brush

The card base is an 8 1/2" x 5 1/2 piece of cardstock. Score in from each 5 1/2" end at 2 1/8". Trim a hair off each short edge so the two "gates" don't touch.

Cut 4 of the same size circles, three out of light-ish weight cardstock and one out of a sturdier weight. The latter will be the top circle that you decorate. I inked blended green on the heavy circle for the grass background. Stamp the bunnies and color with Copics. Fussy cut the bunnies. Ran a scrap of lime green cardstock through my paper crimper, then cut narrow strips. Bunched it all up in my hand to further make it messy.

Fold two of the circles in half. They should look sort of like tacos. Adhere them to the other light weight circle with the folds butting up to each other in the center of the flat circle. Now you have two tacos facing outward from each other on top of a flat circle, right? Decorate your fourth circle, then adhere it to the tacos side (not the flat side) of the mechanism you previously made. WARNING: Make sure to line up your decorated circle so that it's top edge is lined up against the taco folds. (On my first try, my bunnies were off center instead of ears up toward the top of the card.)

This card can also have a top fold card inside (slightly smaller than A2) adhered to the center portion of the card base. Decorate the front of the closed top fold card and leave the inside of it for  a handwritten message.

Mat the two "gates" with patterned paper and if you wish, stamp a sentiment. Hold the gate fold base closed, the mechanism slides down the two inner gate edges from the top (making sure the left gate and right gate are separated into the two tacos). I know this sounds crazy, but it works. See last photo...look at the mechanism carefully.

Happy Easter season!



-Carol