Saturday, November 11, 2023

Giving Thanks

This card was a happy accident. I looked through my stash for something that would be fun to make, and after much thought, I got out my Destination stamp set and stencils from The Greetery. There are a few map stencils and I have only used the Destination Summer one. I took this round one out and used fall colors with it. Then I got the idea to use one of the map sections to make a pumpkin stem. It reminded me of a pumpkin I didn't buy at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago (still think about it) that had a pie recipe on the side. If you can have a recipe on the side of a pumpkin, you can have a map home on it too, I decided. Here is my resulting card for the Just Us Girls Challenge #705 Word Week: Thanks/Thanksgiving. 





I decided to play over at the Four Seasons Fall 2023 ChallengeNBUS #56 (Never Before Used Schtuff) and Mix It Up Challenge #68 Blog as well.






Products I used:

The Greetery: Destination stamp set, Map stencils

Pretty Pink Posh: Giving Thanks stamp set (sentiment)

Ranger: Distress Oxide inks

Concord and 9th: mini ink pads

GinaK: Premium dye ink pad

Pinkfresh Studio:: Diagonal Stitched Rectangle dies

Spellbinders: Plaid Company embossing folder


I started by stenciling the map (first time using this round map stencil). Then I did two step stamping of the trees and houses before fussy cutting them. I played with the placement of them and a couple of sentiments. I stamped the All Roads sentiment across the middle of the map. Then, after adhering the images to the map, I stamped and fussy cut "Giving Thanks" into two pieces.

I embossed the plaid onto a panel of white cardstock. It reminds me of a cozy, warm sweater! Then die cut it with the diagonal stitched rectangle die. I adhered the plaid panel to my card base, then adhered the pumpkin map to the plaid panel. Then all that was left was to adhere the Giving and Thanks below the scene. I ink blended a little yellow ink on the Thanks because it is so small it seemed lost in white.

I have a confession. After writing this post, I went online and found a similar ceramic pumpkin to the one I didn't buy when I first saw it...and it arrived in a couple of days!!!



We hope you will join us this week with our Thanks/Thanksgiving challenge. It is always nice to give a host/ess a card and/or little gift.

See you in our gallery!

-Carol




24 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

How fun! Perfect sentiment with the “roads”

Karen said...

So creative and so much fun! I love it all!

Carol said...

Thanks Karen!!!

cm said...

Your pumpkin map, complete with adorable little houses and trees, is absolutely fantastic! Again, your creativity dazzles and delights! Your pumpkin with the recipe is so cute; I can see why you wanted it! Charming piece of Fall/Thanksgiving decor - and now I'm craving pumpkin pie!
hugs~carol

Julia Aston said...

Such a clever idea to make the map stencil into a pumpkin! love it! Julia xx

Bobby said...

So clever to turn the map into a pumpkin, Carol. I love the double sentiment.

Carol said...

Thanks ladies! It was fun to make!

Karen Letchworth said...

Another stunning and super creative card, Carol. Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Four Seasons Challenge.

Carol said...

Thank you Karen!

Diane said...

So very creative and clever, such a smart way to use those destination stencils, gives them an entire new use!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at The Four Seasons!
Diane FS Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Four Seasons}

Carol said...

Thank you Diane!

ElizStewart said...

Carol... what an amazingly cute way to use your map stencils... so loving it!!!

Melissa Craig said...

Love happy accidents. They are always so satisfying. Your card is lovely, I love all the little trees and those sweet little houses.

I Card Everyone said...

So clever and darling, Carol! I never would have been able to resist that pumpkin - so glad you found one to call your own!
=]

Carol said...

Thanks ladies!! I appreciate your messages!

Darnell said...

Goodness, Carol, this is so original and so impeccable! I love every detail from the embossing to the sediment! Your coloring is perfect and I love the little houses and trees. My favorite fall/Thanksgiving card of 2023! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Lisa Elton said...

This is just as cute as it can be, Carol! I love your darling scene! So happy you found your pretty pumpkin online. That would have caught my eye too!

Nancy said...

Your card is so very creative and I smiled from ear to ear when I saw you got that pumpkin!

Lisa Kind said...

Love your pumpkin map! So very clever and cute!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

So creative to use the map stencil to make a pumpkin! This is absolutely amazing!

Ina G said...

Fabulous fun and so creative Carol. Just love your take on this weeks challenge.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

I could not love this card more, Carol. I love every single thing about it. It actually made me a little misty. Thanksgiving is my very favorite, and all about home, no matter where you celebrate. My boys are winging their way home an I know they will be out gathering with friends on Wednesday night. Then the feast! I can't wait.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

... you already know how much I LOVE this card, Carol. Thanks for linking up t The Four Seasons too! It's perfect. Thanks for playing with us.

Carol said...

Thanks Stephanie!!! The map stencils had me the minute I first saw them!