Monday, August 21, 2023

Sending You Sunshine

I found a new-to-me challenge called Colorful Options and the yellow-green color of their August 2023 theme got my attention. I still have the Beach Bag die set on my desk and decided to try to make a card with their theme. I am also adding it to As You See It Challenge #305 Recipe for Summer Sunshine.











Products I used:

Papertrey Ink: Beach Bag dies

My Favorite Things: Life's a Beach stamp set, black and white patterned paper

Simon Says Stamp: Drifting Stitches Borders dies

Distress Inks: Twisted Citron ( a yellow-green hue) and Mustard Seed

Blending brushes

Stampin' Up!: Chalks, yellow patterned paper

Pink and Main: Enamel dots

Holographic rainbow silver cardstock


I started by doing a bokeh technique on a white A2 panel of cardstock. I randomly ink blended my yellow and green inks until there was no white showing. I die cut three sizes of squares on a scrap of white cardstock for a stencil.


Next, I  stenciled with the same yellow using the three different sizes of squares, not being afraid to overlap the squares.


I stenciled again using my green ink.


Last, I stenciled using white ink, which really softens the whole look.


My beach bag covered more of the background than I wanted, but I think it still gives a colorful setting for the card. I did all of my die cutting, assembling and arranging, including die cutting some sand for the bottom of the scene. My "straw" hat was blending into the background so I chalked the edges with a "brown mustard" color to make it stand out from the bokeh background. If you look closely you can see the circular fringe on the flip flops and the irridescent look of the glasses and bag straps. I love the circle/scalloped sunglasses shape...so cute! This die set has so much detail like stitching and things like tassels, bows and items like a phone, beach ball, shells, a book, etc. I added a shell inside the card to carry the beachy theme there, too.

This won't be my last use of this set. Pinterest has many ideas using it that are just fabulous. If you look back two posts, I made my first card with this set a couple of days ago.


See you back here soon,

-Carol




12 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

This is just FABILOUS!!! Love how you show your technique!

Heather said...

Wow, Carol, this is fabulous! LOVE how you created that background - thanks for showing the process! This is really delightful - perfect summer fun! Thanks so much for playing at As You See It!

Carol said...

Thanks ladies! I forgot to mention that the bokeh technique is usually circles, not squares.

Heather Cooper said...

I love how you adapted the bokeh technique to make your colourful background! I love creativity like this! Great swim bag! The sunglasses are wonderful! Thanks for cooking up our recipe at As You See It Challenges!

Jan Clothier said...

Your blended background is fabulous, as is your creative adaptation of a more traditional bokeh effect. Your final beach bucket, with its pretty tassels, just shouts out 'SUMMER!'. Great card. Thanks for joining in with us at As You See It.

Carol said...

Thanks ladies!!

Deborah Wheeler said...

Love your stencilled background Carol - this is a beautiful summer's card! Thanks for joining us at As You See It

Carol said...

Thanks Deborah!

Jane Knudsen said...

I really like the stamps and dies that you used! Your background is both cool and stunning and definitely draws the eye! Love! Thanks for playing along with us at As You See It!

baileyrosy.com said...

Such a fabulous card I simply adore the layout and the beautiful zesty colours. Thank you so much for joining us at Colorful Options and do hope you will play along with us again.

Marie

JoAnn said...

Wow! Love how you created the lovely background. Thanks for showing the process. Love the colors and love your beach bag. Fabulous card.

Carol said...

Thanks ladies!