Sunday, July 9, 2023

Hope Your Birthday is a Splash!

Still in summer mode, I created a tropical waterfall/water slide card today with Santa on his inner tube. I have a friend with a December birthday and she will laugh out loud at this. I am playing along at the As You See It Challenge #302 with their Build with the Basics sketch.








Products I used:

Sizzix: 3D Embossing folder

Sunny Studio: Surfing Santa stamp and die set, wave stencil

Simon Says Stamp: Drifting Stitches Border dies

Ranger: Distress inks

Concord and 9th: Mini ink pad, Dew drops

Markers

Versafine Onyx black ink pad

I recently made a horizontal lazy river card and today I had the idea to do a vertical waterfall/water slide on a top folding A2 card base. I embossed, then ink blended the tropical leaves on a 5 1/2" X 4 1/4" panel of cardstock. This embossing folder has great detail and texture, but as hard as I tried, I couldn't capture the depth of the leaves like it is in real life. Hence, the two photos.

I already had a Santa die cut and colored, so next I cut two circles inside each other for the inner tube, one out of patterned paper and a white cardstock one, then glued the patterned one on top of the cardstock one. 

Using my wave stencil, I lightly inked up a strip of white cardstock with a couple of blue/aqua distress inks, then removed the stencil and lightly ink blended over it again. I cut the sides with the Drifting Stitches Border die on both edges and had my "cascading" waterfall/water slide!

I assembled the card and popped up the inner tube on foam tape. Last, I stamped the sentiment and added a "splash" with dew drops. I can't wait to send it to my friend in December!

I know my time is short with the summer themed cards, but I hope you do not tire of them. I appreciate your visits here. Fall will be here soon enough!

-Carol


7 comments:

Heather said...

Oh gosh, Carol, she will love it! I laughed out loud at this playful scene - what a brilliant take on our sketch! Love that stitched "slide!" Thanks so much for playing at As You See It!

Carol said...

Thanks so much Heather!

Heather Cooper said...

What an imaginative use of the sketch this is! I love it! The textured background and the waterslide are genius, and Santa on his inner tube is adorable! Thanks for joining us this week as As You See It Challenges!

Carol said...

Thank you Heather!

Jan Clothier said...


Ho, ho, ho! What a cutie! I love your lazy river running down the vertical with a very relaxed summer Santa. Great interpretation of the sketch. Thanks for playing along with us at As You See It.

Deborah Wheeler said...

That is just such a fun card Carol - perfect for any Christmas in July theme and an inspired use of our sketch! Thanks for joining us at As You see It challenge

Jane Knudsen said...

It's tropical Santa! Between him and the colors - I am in love! I particularly am envious of your "river" die. I want it! This is just a fabulous card! Thanks for joining us at As You See It!