Saturday, March 18, 2023

You are the Zest

Lemon dies have been calling my name for a long time and I finally bought some...but I also fell in love with these alphabet dies and recently saw cards online using both sets together. I basically CASEd this card here and added a shaker "twist" filled with little lemons, limes and oranges. Our Just Us Girls Photo/Moodboard Challenge #671 this week has all sorts of yummy colors for spring that inspired my card. 

I'm also playing along at The Card Concept 191a because...lemons! Who can resist their colors and scent! Spring and summer are on their way which means lemonade, lemon sorbet in the lemon itself (see below), and Arnold Palmers (iced tea and lemonade)!! Suffice it to say, I was taken by the Card Concept photo with the lemons.










Products I used: 

Lawn Fawn: Zesty Lemons die set, Henry's ABCs die set

Avery Elle: Scalloped frame die set

Sugar Pea Designs: Stitched rectangle die

Paper Smooches/Stampin' Up!: Stamped together into one sentiment

Pretty Pink Posh: Clay fruit shaker elements

Concord and 9th: mini ink cubes, Dew Drop assortment

Ink blending brushes

Versafine Black Onyx ink pad

Stampin' Up!: Patterned paper

Acetate

Foam tape


I like a clean and layered card style. First I die cut my lemons, leaves and flower out of white cardstock. I ink blended all of them and adhered the pieces and parts together. Next, I die cut the scalloped frame, played around with the arrangement/spacing of the inked die cuts, then decided on placement of the "zest" dies. After die cutting my word, I removed the letters and created the shaker, holding my breath as I always do (because I usually make a mistake and have to start over). I die cut the yellow patterned paper so it would have stitching around the edges, then attached it to my A2 card base. Then I mounted the shaker on top of the card front. I added the lemons and leaves, stamped my sentiments and added the dew drops. 

As I mentioned above, I have a lemon sorbet recipe (not this one, but this sounds amazing too) that my daughter just loves, so I surprise her when she visits us! You make and freeze it in the lemons you used to make it! (If you need details on how to prepare the lemon "boats" for the sorbet, leave a comment below.) I couldn't take a photo of the cookbook page with my recipe I use because it is so worn with use and lemon spills...I guess that is a good sign! 

We hope you will find the colors and objects fun in our moodboard this week and that you will want to make a card using something you see in the photo. I think you will really like all of the team's ideas too, so be sure to visit their blogs for all the details on their cards!

-Carol

14 comments:

Vicki Dutcher said...

Cute lemon card those dies are fun

I Card Everyone said...

Carol, I have so much to say about your post! First of all, I LOVE your lemon-y fresh card, the clever shaker and bits, and of course the darling zesty sentiment!
Secondly - that sorbet served in the lemon skin? I presented pasta like this for a section of my final exam in culinary school! Guess who got an A+?
I'm giving you an A++ for your card!
=]

Carol said...

Michele, thank you...and I want to know how you presented the pasta!!!! My dream...culinary school. How fun!

Nancy said...

Great purchase and adorable shaker card! The sponging is just perfect as is the DSP to match! You nailed it!

Lisa Elton said...

You might force me to go shopping, I'm crushing on this lemon die! CUTE CUTE card, Carol. Your lemon sorbet sounds so refreshing and what a cute way to serve it!

Esther Asbury said...

What an AWESEOME lemon card!! I love how you created a shaker for the word "zest." Thanks for playing along at The Card Concept.

Bobby said...

I've been looking at lemon dies and I love the one you have, Carol. You colored them beautifully and the arrangement with the scalloped paper and print border is fantastic. And then you added the shaker word to take it over the top. Simply fabulous!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

This is amazing! Your lemons are absolutely gorgeous with so much life to them. Love the shaker sentiment, too.

cm said...

Your lemon-y card is absolutely the 'zest'...I mean 'best'! So pretty, especially with the shaker element. LOVE this!
hugs~carol

Ina G said...

Wow Carol this is one fantabulous card with so much eye candy to dwell over. Love the layers and lemons coloured beautifully. That zest shaker just blew me away.

Karen Letchworth said...

I love your card. The lemons are everything! Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Card Concept. I'm headed off to go purchase those lemon dies. I mean...I just can't! Right? Thanks so much for sharing with us and please join us again soon.
Karen L, DT
The Card Concept

For another awesome challenge, check out:
Word Art Wednesday
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

Carol said...

Thank you so much ladies. I'm so glad I finally got those lemons!

Carol said...

Thank you all so much! (Blogger won't let me comment individually as I would like to!)

Karen K said...

Love your shaker card Carol :) The background DSP is perfect love the shading on your lemons and leaves. Thank you for joining us at The Card Concepts. Karen (DT)