Saturday, March 25, 2023

Goin' Coastal

This might sound familiar to you if you are a cardmaker. I bought this row of houses die eons ago and am just using it now for the first time. I felt like it was supposed to be for a winter snowy scene, but I pictured being able to make a row of beach huts. You know that for spring break people are "goin' coastal" to escape winter weather where they live! I made this card for this week's Just Us Girls #672 CAS theme: 1/3 or less. You've got to see all the different ideas the team and our talented guest Michele Ferguson came up with for you! I am also playing along over at Addicted to CAS: Spring and Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with Dies.



Below is my "vintage" wooden stamp from a store called Stampa Barbara in Santa Barbara, California...a gorgeous coastal city north of Los Angeles and the destination of many road trips taken long ago for stamp shopping. Seeing this stamp in my stash brings back good memories with friends!












Products I used: 

Memory Box: House in the Country die

Stampa Barbara: Seashore scene (palm trees)

Ellen Hutson: Everything's Beachy stamp set (sentiment)

Concord and 9th: mini ink cubes

Ink blending brushes

The first thing I did was die cut the scene from the bottom of the front side of an A2 card base. Using post it notes, I masked off each house to ink blend them in red, white and blue. Then I masked off the houses to be able to ink blend some sand and water beneath them. I adhered the scene to the bottom inside edge of the card back. With the card open and lying flat on my work surface, I ink blended the sky and stamped my trees and sentiment. I left a little white space between my sand and water to look like the white foam that hits the sand. (As you can see in the photo of my stamp above, the trees were part of a scene, so I just inked up the top of the trees by dabbing my ink cube corner carefully so that I would only get palm leaves. Then I penned in the trunks.) I stamped my sentiment and the card was complete!

We hope you will join us on this CAS week challenge, using 1/3 or less of your card and following our definition of Clean and Simple. Can't wait to see you in the gallery!

-Carol

12 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Carol this is just adorable! I adore little houses: die cut or stamped and always imagine living in one with all my crafty friends in the others! Since I'm the first one here, I say we move into that biggest red one with ALL the stuff we have but have seldom or never used!
Love your entire design and process - you have a surgeon's hand when it comes to selective stamping!
Thanks so much for inviting me to play cards with you all this month!
=]

Carol said...

Michele, you are so sweet. We will miss you so much. Your creations are so inspirational and fabulous!!!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Fun the way you die cut the top of the fun beach scene is on the inside. Thanks for joining in at ATCAS too!

ElizStewart said...

Carol... beyond fun! What a fab CAS card!!

Carol said...

Thanks ladies so much!

Nancy said...

carol, Such a wonderful use of the challenge! I love that you cut out the houses. Brilliant card and well executed!

Lisa Elton said...

I adore those teeny houses and palm trees, not to mention the colors you used! This is amazing, Carol and just makes me smile!

Bobby said...

What a wonderful beachside scene, Carol. I love that the little houses are on the inside of the card and the cut edge lets them show through. Very creative.

Sue VanDeVusse said...

I love your beach scene with the little houses. The blending with the shore and the water looks fabulous and I love that you carried it all over to the inside of the card, as well!

Ina G said...

Simply perfect beach scene Carol. Love the simple layout and pops of colour.

foleysfriend said...

Great card. I love that you not just worked on the front card panel but also the inside panel too. The little scene you created looks so inviting. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers ~ Anything Goes with Dies Challenge.

sue n.

Nandini said...

Beautiful card. I love the gorgeous scene you have created! Thanks for joining us at HLS Challenges. Looking forward to seeing you in our gallery again. Nandini, DT