Saturday, July 9, 2022

Count the Waves

Hello my friends! This week I am the hostess at Just Us Girls Challenge #640 Trend Week: Rocker Cards. In case you are not sure what a rocker card is, it is a circle folded in half and stood on its round edge where it can rock back and forth. Just decorate the front however you like. Super easy! Pinterest has lots and lots of ideas and tutorials. Some rockers even have a step built into the base for a variation on the original folded circle. I wanted to make one this week with something on it that in real life sways back and forth, and I thought of a sailboat. Here is what I came up with!


First I cut a large circle base out of thick white card stock. Then, I scored it/folded it in half. I chose three colors of blue and aqua to die cut the same size circle out of each of them. Then I used wave dies to cut three different heights of waves. I die cut my boat and then my sun (using a smaller circle than the card base). I started by gluing the sun on the front of my rocker base, then added each layer of waves from the top one to the last one on the bottom. I only put glue along the outside edge of each wave so that I could put the boat and mast between the waves. I added the stars, flag and sequin details, then stamped my sentiment. Finally, I stamped the birds flying in the distance. My card measures approximately 5.5" x 5.25" and I will probably make an envelope with my envelope punch board. I also made an easel/stopper for the inside so my card can't do the splits and fall flat when standing. (See my previous post for a picture and description.)

You can make one of these in minutes depending on how simple you decide to make the card front. I know I would be playing with this card all day if I received one and put it on my desk! I hope you will join us this week after you make one and see how much fun it is! Be sure to check out each design team member's blog to see how they made theirs.

Products I used:

My Favorite Things: Wave dies, Life's a Beach stamp set, Sailboat dies 

Simon Says Stamp: Nested circle dies

The Greetery: Destination Summer bird stamp

Buttons Galore: sequins

Stampin' Up!: Classic ink pad

Silver card stock

Heavy white card stock (base)

Blue, red, white, grey, pale yellow, light and dark aqua card stock  


See you back here soon!

-Carol

13 comments:

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Wonderful idea! Rocking on the waves!

ElizStewart said...

Carol... so fun! and clean. Love it!

Nancy said...

I totally enjoyed this challenge so thanks for suggesting it. I love how this turned out. The triple waves adds so much depth and I like the pop of silver on the mast too. Great card!

Bobby said...

You had the perfect die cuts to make this oceanic voyage, Carol. I love the layers of blue waves. This was such a fun challenge as evidenced by my three rockers.

Carol said...

Thanks ladies! It was a fun one to make!!!

cm said...

Carol, a boat-and-waves theme is perfect for a rocker card; a great way to match the image with the motion! Super awesome! Thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone; fun to expand horizons with this challenge!
hugs~carol

Vicki Dutcher said...

Super fun rocker beach card! Fun challenge too

baileyrosy.com said...

Such a clever card and so beautifully made and that sentiment is just perfect.

Marie

Carol said...

Thank you ladies! I envisioned this card and it actually turned out like I had pictured it!

Ina G said...

That sailboat is perfect for a rocker card Carol. Those waves would certainly make it rock to and fro. Fabulous!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

This is fabulous! I love your little sailboat sailing through the wavy sea with that big old moon shining down on it. So creative!

Carol said...

Thanks Ina and Sue! I want to make some Christmas ones now!

Lisa Elton said...

I love everything about this, Carol! What a CUTE card!