Saturday, May 14, 2022

Hey Gullfriend!



This week at Just Us Girls #632 it is Trend Week: Shaped Cards. That means anything but a square or rectangle. I love making teepee cards and don't do it often enough! It is so easy and mostly about embellishing the card base. Check it out on Pinterest, there are so many ideas! I don't know what made me grab my seagulls this week, but they are so expressive and funny! Living near the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, we know all about them and how they will steal your food if you are not careful! Never feed the seagulls!!! (Also, they are famous for something else: I have a personal seagull story below if you want a little chuckle...starts out sounding bad but is funny now! Stay tuned to the bottom of this post.)








To make the base of the teepee card, I used three 4" squares of card stock, scored on the diagonal to make my base. Look on Pinterest or You Tube for other sizes and complete instructions, depending on the size you are wanting. I stamped the sentiments on white card stock and cut closely around them so they would fit on the card, and the longest one I decided to cut into short segments to fit on the white mat side of the teepee. I was originally going to have just the sentiment on the white panel side of the teepee and leave room for a handwritten message, but I wanted to add another cute and quirky bird!! You can write a personal message on the other side of the card (which becomes the inside). 

My last three pictures look weirdly shaped but it is just the angle of the photo. I wanted to show the transition from one side of the card to the next, as well as opened up fully. My teepee card folds in half and fits into an A2 envelope! The last step was to cut a small piece of Velcro to hold the teepee together to stand. One more thing, I drew my own potato chips, lol! 

Products I used:

Ellen Hutson: Seaside Seagulls stamps and dies (birds and sentiments)

Flora and Fauna: small fish

Simon Says Stamp: tiny flying seagull stamps

Stazon Ink: Jet Black

Copic markers

Patterned paper

Lilac Lane: Seaside Holiday sequins

Velcro

So my story(ies) about seagulls: I have a penchant for being pooped on by seagulls. Here are just three of them! My mother told me that when she pushed me in my stroller as a little girl they got me a few times...then in high school a few of us went to the beach one time and while lying in the sand by two other people, I was the only one who got nailed by them! And the best story yet, on my wedding day I was walking into church to go down the aisle and guess what?!! Yep! All over my dress and veil! Several people at the entrance to the church whipped out tissues and started blotting the splotches while watching me for tears, but I was laughing. My mother had always said it was good luck (to make the best of the situation) and not to fret. At the reception, people who had already been seated in church and missed all the action upon my arrival, asked what was all over my dress and it made for a few laughs! (I made my dress too! Many long hours to make it just right!)

Back to the challenge this week, a teepee is always an easy, fun shaped card to make. And you've also got to love the variety of fun shaped cards the design team came up with...each one unique! We really hope you will join us for this challenge!

-Carol




13 comments:

ElizStewart said...

Carol... first, I can't believe you made your wedding dress!! WOW. Like, your mom, I, too, believe that bird poop is good luck and it sounds like you have lots of it. The Irish are very superstitious people and bird poop is one of them! I love the teepee card. I have never seen one before... so fun!!!

Carol said...

Glad you liked it! It's a fun to make!

Vicki Dutcher said...

What a fun card! I love your staging too

Deborah Wheeler said...

Fab card design Carol! I have to say, seagulls are not just confined to the coast - I had one swipe a sandwich down by the River Thames here in London!

cm said...

First, your pyramid card is awesome! I agree: the base is easy to make; the 'stepping up' comes with what you add to it. Here, you've made it a real delight!
Second: in awe that you made your wedding dress! So talented!
Third: oh dear with the pigeon poop all over your beautiful dress! Good on you for taking it in stride! Given I have bird terror, I'd be a crying mess!
hugs~carol

Nancy said...

I love this stamp set so much and this was such a great idea this week. As for your stories, I know you've shared them with me before but it was fun to read them again. Way to go to laugh it off, not sure I could have done that on my wedding day! Excellent fun fold!

Bobby said...

I've never made, or even heard of, a tepee card, Carol, but you have me intrigued. It looks great all decorated with the seagulls. I have a story too. Actually it's my daughter's story. We were at St. Pete Beach after my brother's wedding and Lisa wanted a bag of popcorn. As she walked down the beach the seaguls began to descent and so she walked faster and then began to run. Of course that made the popcorn fly out of the bag and more seagulls came. I think she just ended up dropping the bag so they'd leave her alone.

Carol said...

Thank you Vicki!

Carol said...

Really?!!!! They are such brazen creatures!

Carol said...

Thanks Carol! I have a little bit of bird terror if they get too close...but the flock that flew over me in all of these instances didn't have to get close!

Carol said...

Thanks Nancy!!!

Carol said...

That's funny now but probably scary for your daughter! I can totally picture that scenario. Do you live in Florida or were you visiting our area?

Ina G said...

Loved reading your seagulll stories Carol. Fabulous tepee card and so creative. A shape I have wanted to make but never gor around to it. Great shape for this weeks challenge. I went the easy way lol.