Saturday, April 9, 2022

Alcohol Inks and Foil

So my friend Nancy and I went out of our comfort zones recently to try to use alcohol inks with foil. It was a new technique for us both. I kind of liked it, but it was one part skill to 10 parts happy accident. We both ended up with one flub in the trash, and a couple of decent panels to use in the future. The Just Us Girls Challenge #627 is to Use Foil on your Alcohol Inked Cards. 



We took glossy cardstock and squeezed drops of ink of several colors on it, then added drops of alcohol ink blending solution and started pushing the liquids around quickly with an ink air blower. (A rubber ball with a straw coming out of it is my best description.) Ranger makes one. The inks dry quickly so we had to work fast! I found that the less colors the better, and not colors that blend and make a muddy color. Then while the ink was still a bit wet/sticky, we added copper colored flakes (because we didn't have foil in a color that looked good with our inks) by tapping them onto the inked panel here and there. Needless to say, our fingertips looked like we had been fingerprinted and then stuck in foil. I would like to try it again because I see the cards that people make with them and they are amazing!

I cut some copper sticker paper with PinkFresh Studios Kelly Alpha Lower Case dies to spell Hi and added them to the card panel I liked best. I cut the panel into a square and mounted it onto a card base that is 5 3/4" x 5 3/4" and the card was complete!

If you have done this process, I would love to hear your tips! It was fun and a learning process at the same time! See you back here soon!

-Carol

15 comments:

Sue VanDeVusse said...

I LOVE this! The blue alcohol ink with the bits of copper look fabulous and the die cut sentiment pairs perfectly and does not distract from the beauty of that background.

ElizStewart said...

Carol... I think you and Nancy did an amazing job. I could see some gold fishies swimming on your panel and it would be so cute. I have a long way to go before I am comfortable with alcohol inks but boy do I love the end results!

Mac Mable said...

Such pretty shades of blue alcohol ink and the copper flakes look so pretty. Beautiful card x.

cm said...

Your blue-and-copper card is so pretty! And how wonderful that you and Nancy crafted together! FUN!
hugs~carol

Carol said...

Thank you Sue!

Carol said...

Funny you should mention fishies... I tried a couple on it but they just didn't fit for some reason. Size maybe? Thanks for the kind words!

Carol said...

Thank you Mac!

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

Thanks Carol! Wish we could craft with you!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Those 2 shades of blue look amazing together! Well done with this challenge :)

Nancy said...

It was definitely a day of trial and error. I think I had at least two panels in the trash...LOL. I like the simplicity of your card as we can still see the beautiful inks!

Lisa Elton said...

This turned out great! Love your CAS design and the pretty little HI!

Ina G said...

I love this 'FLUB' Carol. Your touches of gold look amazing and then you top it off with that fabulous sentiment. I tried one with flakes and your know here that went. Thanks so much for reaching out of your comfort zone for my challenging challenge. You did it proud!

Bobby said...

I'm so glad you and Nancy held each others hand as you tried making alcohol ink panels, Carol. My only tip is just keep playing. You never know what you'll get when you start blowing the blending solution and inks around. There is definitely a learning curve but I love your simple design that lets the shades of blue show off the hints of copper.

baileyrosy.com said...

Carol I think it looks fabulous the blue and gold look amazing together.I find I get great results with acetate also i cut and aperture and place it over my ink panel and there is usually a part of it that is useable also pure alcohol splashed on top of the ink can give a nice effect.

Marie