Monday, June 7, 2021

Signs of Summer

I saw and had to CASE this idea from Facebook where Stampin' Up! demonstrator Christine Versluis said she was inspired by the SU latest catalog sample of this quilting Cathedral Window design. I am playing along with The Paper Players PP544 this week where the theme is Signs of Summer.




Quilted Cathedral Window Pillow from Pinterest


All I had to do was punch out 10 circles (2 1/2" Marvy circle punch) and make a 1 3/4" cardstock square. I centered the square on top of each circle and folded the round edges toward the center of each circle along the edge of the square. I used a variety of  patterned papers that I had on hand and grabbed random stamps to make things to go inside each window. I adhered my items inside each window, then lined them up to avoid the same patterned paper or contents to be beside itself. Next I glued the folded up edges to the ones that butted up to each other. Then I was able to cut a cardstock white background and glue the joined windows to it. I matted the panel to an aqua mat and then a red one. It measures about 11" x 6" and is going to either be put in a shadow box to display in my craft room or  stand on a clear picture stand in the same room.

The sentiment is from an ancient Paper Smooches set called Fruitastic and the strawberries are from an old Stampin' Up! set called Tart and Tangy. I think the butterfly stamp is from Magenta. 

I used a Wink of Stella pen to add shine to the side of the strawberries and Glossy accents for some of the flower centers. Rhinestones added some sparkle and I used some taupe/silver baker's twine behind them like a vine.

This Paper Player's Challenge just started, so there is a lot of time to make something summery and join the fun. Even though I am retired from teaching, I still feel like it is exciting that summer is here, even in HOT Florida! Is the summer weather already happening where you live? 

I made my first strawberry pie in years last week and we are wanting another one. Here is my recipe that my mom gave me when I was first on my own. You can tell by how ragged the recipe is how much I have used it! The crust is like shortbread and the high altitude tip is from when we lived in Colorado. (BTW: Remove filling from heat as soon as it thickens, then add Jello and stir well.) For me, strawberry pie is a sign of summer if there ever was one!




See you soon,

-Carol

10 comments:

Ann Schach said...

What an awesome card, Carol! This is such a clever design, and perfect for showcasing one of my favorite Signs of Summer, strawberries! I am anxious to give your mom's strawberry pie recipe a go. It looks delicious!!! Thank you for playing in my challenge at The Paper Players this week!

Carol said...

Thanks Ann! Read the whole recipe first because it is kind of out of order. Stir the filling constantly for the 4-5 minutes it takes to thicken. You don't want to let it burn. Then stir in the Jello and let it cool to lukewarm before pouring over the strawberries and cooled crust. You will have more filling than you need. It is addicting at our house!

Carol said...

Ann, refrigerate as soon as the pie is cooled off.

Dena J said...

Stunning card! Love that design and you did a brilliant job with the colors and arrangement.

Jaydee said...

What a cool card, Carol. I agree with Ann, that is such a clever design and really pops. Fabulous recipe, too. thanks for sharing both of these with us at the Paper Players this week
jaydee

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Carol your card is such a great way to showcase your sweet strawberries! So creative and a definite sign of summer. Thanks for sharing with us over at The Paper Players this week!

LeAnne said...

Your card is as yummy as that pie!!! I have been wanting to try this technique and your idea to use a square template to fold the edges around is a good one! Now I am definitely inspired to try this as well! Love your choice of papers, too, makes for a definitely summery card! Thanks for playing with our theme challenge at the Players this week!

Carol said...

Thank you Dena!

Carol said...

Thank you for your comments Jaydee!

Carol said...

Thank you LeAnne!