Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Water You Up To?

I had some new purchases on my desk to try out and saw that I could combine two challenges into one card today: NBUS #25 (Never Before Used Stuff) and Just Us Girls #579! I bought this seahorse and sand dollar die set from Spellbinders recently but hadn't opened them up yet. And JUGS is challenging us this week to use more than one stencil, so I got out my hardly used palm tree, pineapple and dots stencils and started playing.









I cut a random sized tag and started stenciling palm trees and pineapples with Tim Holtz Distress Paints and a foam ink blender from Scrapbook.com. I dried them quickly with my heat gun and started filling in the background with my blender brushes and distress inks. I decided to make a little beach with the Gulf of Mexico water washing up in the bottom corner of the tag, so I left some white space for the shore. I added lots of tiny white dots along the shore with a gel pen and my Wink of Stella clear sparkle pen. I flicked water from my fingers onto the distress inks and tapped the tag dry after about a minute. I added more dots on the tag by randomly stenciling with my Brilliance Moonlight White ink pad. Next I die cut the seahorse and sand dollar from watercolor paper. I ink blended with distress inks again on the seahorse. I die cut a vine from a Sizzix set called Geo Floral Frame and ink blended some green on it. I adhered the die cuts on the tag, popped some up with foam tape and used Glossy accents to attach some sequins to the tag. Last, I decided to give the seahorse some bubbles above him. I cut some aqua vellum to make a horizontal strip but stamped some Stampin' Up! schools of fish on the card front first. I grabbed some tropical ribbon and baker's twine for the top of the tag and then adhered the tag to the card with foam tape. My sentiment and waves behind it are from a retired Simon Says Stamp card kit called Summer Hello. 

It really feels like summer lately (without the humidity!) here in Florida, but this card fits the climate pretty much all year. Is it getting warmer where you are?

"Sea" you soon,

-Carol


3 comments:

Nancy said...

You are very creative when it comes to mixing card elements! This tag is fabulous and reminds me of the class we took out your way where we made all the stenciled mixed media backgrounds, and every single one of yours were perfect. Love every single thing about this! Make more!!! Thanks for playing at Just Us Girls too!

Cécile RIBON said...

Wow! What a fabulous card! I love everything about it, the cheerful colors, the amazing stenciling job and the gorgeous seahorse! Thanks for joining us at Just Us girls this week.

Carol said...

That's exactly what I did. I looked for my notes from that class to remember how we layered paints and inks! Thank you!!!