Thursday, July 11, 2024

Summertime

Hello friends! The word summertime makes me think of vacation and this patterned paper has all the elements of my summer vacations as a teacher. Now I get to live year round as if it were summer break. This card is for our Just Us Girls Challenge #735: Summertime, and I am your hostess this week!









I'm sharing my card over at The Paper Players where their challenge is Summer Fun.





Products I used:

The Greetery: Hearts at Home: Clock die

Simon Says Stamp: Summertime die

Sugar Pea: Card Front Builder Stitched rectangle die

JoAnn Fabrics: Patterned paper scraps

Sizzix: Tropical Leaves embossing folder

Gold cardstock

Distress inks

Ink blending brushes

Handmade waves and sun stencils

Small circle punch


I had this idea in mind when I purchased The Greetery's little clock. It's a cute little alarm clock and I wanted to have multiple ways to use it. 

First I cut an A2 card base and chopped off a little over an inch of the outer edge of the card front. 

Next, I die cut the clock pieces and cut the legs for the alarm clock twice to make the top and bottom arms of the watch that attach to the "watchband" itself. 

Then I took the clock face and using small Post-It notes, created an ink blended sunset beach scene. So small, but quick!

I assembled the watch and die cut two rectangles with stitching like a wristwatch band. 

I embossed a panel of white cardstock with tropical leaves and adhered it to the shortened card front. I adhered the completed watch to it with the watch face popped up on foam tape.

Finally, I cut a strip of patterned paper and adhered it to the edge of the card. I die cut the sentiment which comes as a square die, then lined up each letter to make the word "Summertime" fit along the side of my card.

Please join us for a "Summertime" week at Just Us Girls. There are lots of ways to show what we like to do or places we like to go in the summer. You could even choose flowers that grow in this season! My card is for one of my former teacher friends who also loves the summertime vacation.

See you in the gallery!

-Carol


20 comments:

ElizStewart said...

Carol... aren't you a clever cardmaker! Very puny... a summertime watch... LOVE IT!

Carol said...

Thanks Elizabeth!

Lisa Elton said...

Very clever and so very cute!

JoAnn said...

I think it is clever the way you created the watch and watch band with that printed paper. Love the shortened front with the pattern paper and "Summertime" sentiment on the side. Great card Carol.

Stef Perry said...

Carol, you always have creative and imaginative designs, but I think this card is at or near the top of my favorites list! The graphic letters up the side, the fun patterned paper that is the epitome of summer fun and your beautiful, clever way to make the clock into a wrist watch. And wow to your ink blended dial! I was hoping you'd share with us at TPP, loved seeing your card in the gallery my friend!

Claire Broadwater said...

Summer Time--you have me singing that old song. I love this! SO many fun ways to celebrate the season! So happy you joined us at The Paper Players this week!

Carol said...

Thank yo uso much JoAnn!

Carol said...

Thanks Stef! It was fun to make!

Carol said...

Thank you so much Claire!

LeAnne said...

What a clever design--fun diecuts and fun papers! That clock face is amazing! And your "summertime" fits perfectly! What an awesome creation! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Players this week!

Carol said...

Thanks LeAnne! I had fun making it!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Your "beach o'clock" watch is brilliant and fabulous, Carol. I LOVE it. I also love the way the card opens and your "summertime" border on the right. Such a wonderful composition!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Oh my! That beach clock is so awesome! Fabulous card.

Cat Craig said...

Oh this is just adorable!

Julia Aston said...

So, so clever to see that clock as a watch face - and what wonderful summer DP you used for it's strap! Wonderful embossed background to add great texture! Julia xx

Carol said...

Thank you so much Julia!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

I love the creativeness of this! Very cool band for that pretty watch and so perfect for summertime.

Carol said...

Thanks Sue!

Bobby said...

How clever of you to turn that clock into a watch, Carol. The wrist band is made of a wonderful summertime paper.

cm said...

Carol, how brilliant to create a summer-themed watch; I want one just like it in real life!
hugs~carol