Thursday, May 23, 2024

A Magical Birthday Card

Hello there! I am so excited to be back with my second Guest Designer spot for May at Time Out Challenges. TO #264 challenges you to be Magical. So, I chose a Mermaid. In European folklore, mermaids were natural beings like fairies, and had magical powers. They loved music and often sang. Here is my card, made for a friend's grandchild.















I told a friend that I was making a mermaid card and offered to give it to her for one of her granddaughters. The day after I gave it to her she brought over a half dozen of these cookies she made to send with the card. Can you believe how she matched the mermaid tail in colors like the card?!! They were delicious too, especially with the almond flavoring...my favorite! We have traded crafts before and I was amazed at the detail and iridescence that she added to the cookies!


Here's the best part of the challenge: The winner of Time Out's Challenge #264 will win a $25 store credit to their generous Sponsor: Picket Fence Studios!! So think magical and play along with us!


Products I used:

Honey Bee Stamps: Swimming By stamp set

My Favorite Things: Scalloped Rectangle die

Avery Elle: Scalloped Rectangle die

Sugar Pea Designs: Stitched Rectangle die

Flora and Fauna: Shell stamps

Spellbinders:  Whale in a Bottle die set (coral and sea grass dies)

Buttons Galore: Sequin mix

Distress Inks

Handmade waves stencil

Copic Markers

Altenew: Artist Markers

Wink of Stella pen

Acetate

First, I die cut the white scalloped frame 8 times...yes 8, so that I didn't have to use sticky foam tape to make my shaker. I adhered them all together, with a piece of acetate between the last two frames on top.

Next, I cut a piece of thin cardboard by hand on two edges, making wavy shaped edges. I used it as a stencil (like you would for clouds) on a piece of aqua cardstock. 

I stamped and colored my images and fussy cut them. (I stamped, then watercolored the mermaid's tail and top, then fussy cut them and adhered them onto the stamped mermaid.) I added Wink of Stella pen to the scales on the tail and the top for shimmer. I die cut the coral and sea plants from scraps of cardstock.

I assembled everything and tried out the shaker. Last, I stamped my sentiment inside and smeared it...so I cut out the scalloped frame and stamped it again to cover up the boo-boo. (I always mess up a card at THE VERY END!)

Be sure to take time to check out all the inspiration from the Time Out Design team. We will be looking for your magical cards in the gallery! Hope to see you there!

-Carol


20 comments:

Kate said...

Love your pretty underwater scene - and a shaker card too - simply brilliant Carol! Thanks for being such an awesome guest at Time Out! Hugs, Kate!

Nonni said...

Awww I love this! Mermaids are wonderfully magical creatures and this shaker design is so perfect for adding an oceanic touch! Great coloring too Thank you for being our inspiring guest designer at Time Out again!

My Paper Epiphany said...

What a masterpiece! So many wonderful details! Thanks for joining us again as GD. Your friend is very talented too!

Carol said...

Thank you for having me Nonni!

Carol said...

Thank you so much Jen!

Quillish said...

Oh Carol, you made me say out loud.. why didn't I think of mermaids? :D What a magical shaker card and the recipients would have totally loved it. I love the details - the pretty colors and esp the clever use of scallop frame!!! Also, your friend.. her beautiful art on cookies (also to match yours) - blows my mind! Thank you for being so kind to be our guest at Time Out. Hugs ~ Ishani

Carol said...

Thank you so much Ishani!!! I have already asked my friend to make some cookies for my birthday...delicious!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh my goodness, this is adorable!!

Carol said...

Thanks Lisa!

Greta said...

Oh my goodness--this is so wonderful, Carol! Bet that was one happy little girl! Your friend is incredibly talented, too! I have a relative who is quite the cookie baker, but I've never seen any with these incredible colors!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

You know I love every single thing about this card. It is absolutely the most perfect mermaid card, and that makes me smile. The shaker element makes it all the better and yes, magical!!! The white scalloped frame makes the whole scene pop. Thank you so very much for being our guest designer two challenges in a row, and thanks for your support of Time Out! It is a joy to have you with us!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Oh, and the COOKIES!!!!! How fabulous. They are gorgeous. What a talented and wonderful friend!

Nonni said...

Thank you for your sweet comment in my spotlight card for INKspirational. I answered in my blog but I'm not sure if you'll get a notification... So here's a copy of what I wrote:

Hi Carol! The inks I used for the purple flower are Memento Lilac Posies + Altenew Crisp Dye Ink Razzleberry. For the red flower Altenew Crisp Dye Ink Crimson and Velvet. I was light handed with my lighter color and heavy handed with the darker color to make the contrast very big and I also varied this a bit in different petals, not making every petal the same. Some have more contrast and some have less, if that makes sense! :)

Carol said...

Nonni, Thank you so much for the detailed reply to my question! The colors are beautiful and the way you used a light hand and then heavy made a spectacular card!!!

Helen said...

Your card is super sweet Carol. I always love a shaker card so it just adds to make you card so eye-catching. I'm sure it made your friend's granddaughter's day! Your friend is very clever making thos wonderul cookies!! So pretty! Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer this challenge. I look forward to seeing your wonderful creations in the future. I hope you have a good wee! :)

Bobby said...

Oh my what a spectacular magical creation, Carol. The waves look perfect in the background and the sequins in the shaker look like bubbles. The mermaid is adorable and I can almost hear her singing.How wonderful to get those delicious looking cookies. Your friend is very talented too.

Carol said...

Thanks so much Helen!

Carol said...

Thank you Bobby! It was fun to make!

Inkami said...

Gorgeous framing for your shaker paired with this darling mermaid! What a sweet friend you have to gift you cookies.

Deepti Aggarwal said...

What a beautiful card, Helen. I was also thinking to use the same stamp for my card but then last moment I changed my mind. I also believe that Mermaid are magical.. Love everything about your card and wow you made it shaker too.
What a great idea to add cookies! I am drooling over them. Thank you so much for guesting with us. Hugsxx Deepti