Saturday, February 25, 2023

Hang in There

This week at Just Us Girls Challenge #668 my talented teammate Nancy chose "Coloring" for our new CAS theme! I have had this Paper Smooches squirrel for a very long time and love how you can have him hang from different things that give you such a chuckle! I wanted to make a silly card to give a smile to its recipient, and that is how this card came to be. 





Products I used:

Paper Smooches: Hang Ups stamp set

My Favorite Things: Watercolor Wash Square and Mini Clouds stencils

Sugar Pea Designs: Stitched rectangle border die

Our Craft Lounge: Sparkly Fluff in Brown Sugar (for the tail)

Versafine: Onyx Black ink

Prismacolor pencils

Wink of Stella pen

Distress ink

Ink blending brush

First I stamped my branch and squirrel on a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" white cardstock panel, then made masks for them. I taped down my watercolor stencil (frame) onto the panel, then made cloud formations with the different edges of my cloud stencil, moving it around inside the "square" to make a sky. I made sure to blend ink on the inside of the borders of the "square" to show its shaped edges. I removed the masks from the branch and squirrel, then stamped the front paws again on another scrap of white cardstock. I colored the branch, squirrel and all of his paws (including the two extra ones). I fussy cut the extra front paws and glued them on top of the original ones so that it looks like his paws are holding onto the branch.

Next I stamped the leaves here and there and colored them. I adhered the soft furry fluff on his tail with a glue pen, then stamped the sentiment while the tail dried. Finally, I added some Wink of Stella sparkle to the edges of the clouds.

I die cut the completed panel to get the stitching around the edges, then mounted it onto an A2 white card base.

We sure hope you join us for this simple, CAS challenge this week! See you in the gallery!

-Carol

13 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

He is a fun little fella and certainly brings a smile! This is cute, Carol!

Carol said...

Thanks Lisa!

ElizStewart said...

Carol... I so miss Paper Smooches. Your card is adorable!

Nancy said...

This is darling, Carol! Love the sky background and his funny little face. Such a great colored card too! Well done!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

So cute! Your little hanging squirrel is adorable and colored perfectly. Great work with the masking and stenciling, too. Fabulous CAS!

Bobby said...

Right before I saw your little squirrel I was yelling at one that keeps getting into my bird feeder. Squirrels look cute on paper but other than that . . . :D

Carol said...

Thanks ladies!

Karen said...

That squirrel is sure to bring a smile to anyone who sees this card! Your ink blending and coloring are wonderful! Thanks for such a warm welcome this month; I've had such fun designing cards for your challenges!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Very cute! Fun clouds and the hanging critter is cute

Carol said...

Thanks ladies! His furry tail that you can't see or feel is the fun part!

Ina G said...

Loving all the cutsie images from the Tam here this week. Adorable and perfect sentiment.

Lisa Kind said...

We all need a hang in there card every no and then. Super cute card!

Carol said...

Thanks so much ladies!!!