Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Make a Splash

The Paper Players PP597 is a sketch challenge and looking at it made me think of a pool from many years ago. (Details below.) I set out to make something with layers and depth, so I popped many of the elements up to achieve that look. I like doing a bird's eye view for some cards and that is what I did for this one. I'm playing along with two more challenges that my card fits...see the details below.




I'm also playing along at The Card Concept #178 By The Sea. The inspiration photo reminds me of a place we used to go in our area called The Colony where there were restaurants, condos, tennis courts and a pool on the side of the Monkey Room bar/restaurant which was on the beach side of the property. You could hop out of the pool and run across the sand into the Gulf of Mexico. Using the colors from this beachy photo, the leaves on my card represent the tropical landscaping at The Colony with the greens and blues also representing the pool and gulf. The tan/brown in the photo are represented by the swimmers tan from the Florida sun. Good food, drinks and memories there! My card is a clean and layered style.


I am also playing along with the Timeout Challenges #216 where the theme is Tropical. The photo in their challenge looks like beach here by the gulf with its palms and white sand!

Products I used:

Simply Graphic: swimmers with float

W Plus 9: sentiments

My Favorite Things:  Inside and Out Stitched rectangle dies

Altenew: 3d Hibiscus dies (leaves)

Distress Inks

Ink blending brushes

White and tan card stock

Sequins

Versafine: Onyx black ink

Patterned paper

It is fun to "dress" the swimmers by cutting them out in different colors and cutting out the parts to make their swimsuits and hats. (I had to wear a rubber cap like the swimmer on the right on swim team in high school... tight and awful to take off without ripping out your own hair! LOL! Flashback!) I ink blended white card stock first, then cut out the leaves in areas where I liked the color(s). My pool has patterned paper in it because it looks more real that way than when I try to stencil it.

Hope this made you feel cool during this hot summer of 2022!

-Carol


9 comments:

Christy Lynn said...

Oh wow, I love this card, Carol! That patterned paper for the pool is just perfect and it's such a great take on the sketch. Fabulous use of the colors too. Thanks for playing along with the Paper Players!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Carol this card blows my mind - it is such a creative take on my sketch! I love the way you incorporated the pool into the horizontal element (I definitely need some of that watery DSP!) and then built your scene around it. Thanks for playing along with my sketch challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

LeAnne said...

I just love this! I wish I could jump into those cool waters right now! Thanks for playing with the Players as well as the Card Concept this week with this beauty!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Such a fun card, Carol! Thanks so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!

ElizStewart said...

Fabulous card! Fabulous win!

Carol said...

Thank you so much ladies! I appreciate your kind words! It was a fun card to make!

Ida said...

Congrats on being the "Headliner" for this week. - Your card is fabulous and fun.

Carol said...

Thank you Ida! It wass such a nice surprise this morning!

Esther Asbury said...

That's the perfect summer card! Thanks for linking up to The Card Concept Challenge!!