Saturday, January 8, 2022

Keep on Swimming!!

I'm back once again for Just Us Girls Trend Week #614 Inked or Sprayed Backgrounds! I've been wanting to make a "card" like this with the raised layers and had time/patience to try it. I also wanted to watercolor a sea inspired project this week as it is still warm in Florida!







I got out some watercolor paper, an aqua painter and some stamps and dies. I watercolored all over three 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 watercolor paper panels, making sure no two were exactly alike in pattern or dominant colors. I stamped the schools of fish next, then stamped, colored and die cut the fish, crab and sentiment. Next I cut domes from two of the panels in two different sizes. I popped up the top two dome panels on double layers of foam tape, then added my sea creatures and sentiment into the scene. The sequins were added last and the front card panel was complete! But from the sides you could see the foam tape, so I went to Splitcoaststampers for a tutorial on a shadow box card that I knew I had seen at some point. I made just the frame from this tutorial and glued my card front panel down into it. It took some calculations to make my frame fit the card panel exactly, but after two tries it was right! (I'm not a math wiz!)

Products used:

Simon Says Stamp Under the Sea Animals stamps and dies
Stampin' Up! Sea Street school of fish stamp
Waffle Flower Dome dies
Simon Says Stamp Intense Black ink for sentiment and sea creatures
Distress Inks and Stampin' Up! Classic inks for watercolor
Pretty Pink Posh jewels
Copic markers

Hope you enjoyed my shadow box and you will join us this week for some inked backgrounds!

-Carol

 

20 comments:

Sue VanDeVusse said...

This looks fabulous! I love those different watercolored backgrounds and how you layered them. Your brightly colored fish and crab really pop against your beautiful sea.

Nancy said...

Such a wonderful background and love the arches and dimension! Awesome card, Carol! Have a good weekend!

ElizStewart said...

Carol... fabulous background. Love the watercolored dimension...and the fishies are too darn cute!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Cute project - lucky you with the gorgeous beaches in Florida :)

Carol said...

Thank Sue!

Carol said...

Thank you Nancy! Same to you!

Carol said...

Thanks Elizabeth!

Carol said...

Thanks Vicki!

Stef Perry said...

Wowzer Carol, you put your heart (and sole? haha) into this amazing shadowbox card! Gorgeous olors and cute critters. Love it to pieces and am very jealous of your warm weather,as we will be down in the teens tonight! 🥶

Carol said...

Thanks Stef! Sole, lol! Wish I had thought of that! I'm sending you warmth from down here!

Lisa Elton said...

How CUTE is this! Love the layered arches!

cm said...

As you know, I adore your underwater card! Fabulous in every way!
We're at 3C today, with wind gusts up to 80kmh! Nice to have warm-ish temperatures, but sure a challenge to stand upright! LOL!
hugs~carol

Ina G said...

OMG you have blown me away with this under the sea masterpiece Carol. The depth and colours are stunning. So much patients to make something so beautiful. Love the cute sea critters.

Lisa Kind said...

Wow! This is amazing! I love all the layers and the watercolored background is beautiful.

Cécile RIBON said...

What a delightful under-the-sea scene! I love those cute fishes and the stunning background.

Carol said...

Thanks Lisa! It was fun to make.

Carol said...

Thanks again Carol. I can't imagine weather that cold! Sending warm thoughts your way!

Carol said...

Thank you Ina! It was fun to make!

Carol said...

Thank you Lisa!

Carol said...

Thanks Cécile!